The Pheresis Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital is always in need of donors. Here are five reasons why you should take a little time right now to join the thousands of generous people who save lives by donating platelets to patients in need.
1. It’s Heart Month! Platelets are the cells in blood that prevent bleeding, so they are very important to transplant and cardiac patients. A patient having open-heart surgery will need an average of six units of platelets. Check out what the American Heart Association has to say about the importance of healthy platelets.
2. Free cholesterol testing is available for all donors at the Pheresis Center during Heart Month. Save yourself a trip to the doctor and get this important test done for free when you donate platelets. The American Heart Association recommends a cholesterol screening at least once every five years for everyone over the age of 20.
3. Your donation helps patients right here. When one local family found out that a loved one would need platelet transfusions, they started the “Plates for Pete” blog to encourage friends to donate platelets in his honor.
Although donations cannot be given to a specific patient, donors know they are helping someone close to home because all platelets from our Pheresis Center are given to patients at Barnes-Jewish Hospital. Your platelet donation can help save the life of someone here in our community.
4. It’s rewarding. Your body can replenish platelets very quickly after you donate – much faster than it can after a whole blood donation. Platelet donors can give as often as every two weeks. The Pheresis Center has special programs to reward those who give frequently and help recruit new donors.
- Club 24 – Special recognition for those who have donated 24 times in a year (the maximum amount)
- Pheresis Center Point Program – donors earn one point for each unit of platelets donated. Points can be redeemed for merchandise like shirts and tote bags
- Free movie tickets for donors who bring a friend
5. Seriously…. it’s rewarding. T-shirts aren’t the only reason to give. Several long-term platelet donors share the real reasons they roll up their sleeves in this video.
Click here to learn more about platelet donation and the Barnes-Jewish Pheresis Center.
Category: Platelet Donation